Thomas

Monday 9 September 2013

Easy snack ideas

I try so hard to have snacks and meals that include at least 3 of the 4 food groups. There is only one night a week that I REALLY allow treats, and that's once a weekend, a family treat night complete with movie and a later bedtime.
Sometimes it can be hard to find things that kids will eat and enjoy, instead of leaving behind, or in some cases throw around.
A few of the easy snacks I make for the kids (and sometimes even myself) that include more than one food group:

Yogurt with uncooked quick oats and frozen chopped berries. I find the kids really enjoy this snack (well except for my more sensitive child) and my middle child loves when I layer it so she can do the mixing herself. I love that it fills them up and they think it's a treat.
Peanut butter on crackers, sometimes with raisins. I call it sunshine surprise.
Apple slices with peanut butter. I'll sometimes cut the apples into really thin rings and make a sandwich from the peanut butter and apple.
Crackers and cheese- a classic that kids usually love
Celery with cheese or peanut butter and raisins- ants on a log
Sliced  or grated carrots with dip or peanut butter (yes, peanut butter)

Other easy snacks I'll serve are banana muffins with butter, frozen berries (especially great for teething), applesauce with cinnamon, orange slices or other prepared fresh fruit, sometimes with a tiny amount of sugar on top for a treat,  a fruit smoothie and dry cereal.

I almost always serve milk or water with our snack time, but sometimes they get juice as well.

I believe healthy eating is as important as healthy play in life and that by eating well (with a few treats added now and again) we can teach our children good habits that will follow them throughout life.




No comments:

Post a Comment