Thomas

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Horray for School

My oldest child, who is going into seventh grade, has decided to "not put up with the bad days and all the bs" (his own choice of words) and stay home this year.
What to tell the family?!

He has has issues with school from the beginning, but I really never wanted to take him out. I thought it was good for his socializing skills. I only really realized recently that he was basically isolated from his peers at school most of the time. He was diagnosed with ADHD, and ODD. After finally leaving his first school, a great counselor at his next school noticed signs of asperger's syndrome, and suggested we get tested. He was officially diagnosed at just a few days from being  10 years old.

I cannot wait for him to come home for school. I plan to at least try to follow a curriculum with him, but for the most part I'm going to leave him to his devices, spend family time and volunteer. I'm mostly scared about what my family will think. Extra-curricular activities, such as sports, I'm sure I can find outside of school. Music lessons, and practical life skills such as cooking I know we can find almost everywhere, and I an definitely not worries about his academics. But I know my outside family will be. I don't need to justify my reasons behind home schooling my kids, but I know I'll have to prove myself to them.

And maybe a little bit to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment